There are people who love to paint a room and see the difference they can make, and there are people who don’t have the slightest idea how to go about properly painting anything. For people with no experience with the DIY job of painting, and those who are not interested in doing their own painting, there are professional painters that come to the home and paint the whole house or one room quickly and well.
Choosing a House Painter.
No one wants to hire a painter who comes in and does a poor job, leaving a mess behind along with a big bill. The best way to get your money’s worth from a painter is to hire a licensed, professional painter with a good customer satisfaction record and competitive prices. But, how do you find a good licensed painting contractor?
There are a lot of reasons to look for a painter, including redecorating, building an addition, renovation, damage from fire or water, wanting a nice clean look for a house recently purchased, or putting one on the market.
When looking for a painter, people might want to consider hiring one who also does drywall repair and installation. A house painter who also does drywall work can save the homeowner time and money. Working with one contractor instead of two is a definite advantage. Often, when a home needs painting, it also has damaged drywall that needs repairing before the paint can be applied.
Look for a contractor with a skilled and well-equipped team, ask about the safety measures they have in place, and ask if the contractor is licensed and insured. Review any references and, if they have a website, check it out. Do a little research to make sure the company is reputable and does not have complaints lodged against it. Ask for a quote in writing that lists the details of the job and the materials they will use along with a firm price quote. Ask when they are available to schedule the work and how long they think the job will take.
What Makes a Good Paint Job?
When the painter has been hired, make sure they do the job right. There is an order that a painting job should be done in.
- The room should be prepared for the work with furniture removed or covered, floors covered, and all damage to the walls repaired. The switch plates and outlet cover should be removed. Everything not to be painted should be taped off and protected.
- The order of painting is important. Paint the ceilings first, then the trim, and finally the walls. There is a reason to paint in a top-down order. It is drips and runs that can occur. It is not a good idea to paint low areas first and then paint above them and chance ruining the work with runs and drips.
- When more than one coat of paint is required, the first coat should be sanded and dusted before the second coat is applied.
- When the initial painting is done, the painter should check over the whole job for missed spots or runs to repair.
- The painter should clean up the area after the painting job is done. Any drips or other mess should be removed and the room should be left ready to use again.
A good paint job is worth the investment because it makes the rooms look so much better.